I’m sure you’ve experienced how crazy good the food and nightlife are in Thailand, probably in Bangkok or Chiangmai. But here is the second capital of Thailand, with everything you expected of Thailand, elephants, golden temples or even headless buddhas, all packed in a city. Not that big, but big enough for a one-day biking trip. You can get the ticket at Bangkok Central Railway Station. After the 3 hour train ride, make sure you get a map from Ayutthaya station. Now rent a bike and you’re ready to go!🙂
A few things to note:
- Ayutthaya is not so touristy and the train ride is an absolutely local experience
- You may not meet many tourists there but elephants you will see a lot (but the ride is for around 100USD)
- Greet the cute local dogs!
- You can read the history of why most buddhas were beheaded outside the ruins (the reason was the Burma-Thai religious war)
- Always take the stairs to the top when you enter the temple. It gives you amazing views!
- The floating market was hard to find and I ended up in the elephant garden
- On the way back you can go to the pier, put your bike on the boat, and have the way back across the river🙂